The Howell Theatre was built in 1935 by Mr. Rudolph Howell as a one-screen cinema, seating approximately 600 movie-goers. It was built in the heart of downtown Smithfield, NC, becoming an integral part of the downtown business community.
In the late 1970′s, the theatre underwent a major remodeling, including the conversion from a one-screen to a two-screen (balconies intact) cinema.
Later, in 1986, the theatre underwent another considerable remodeling, converting the balconies of the two cinemas into two addition screens, for a total of four screens. Unlike the two lower floor auditoriums, the upper auditoriums contain stadium seating.
In 1999, the ownership and operation of the Howell Theatre changed hands as Mr. Howell sold the theatre. Some minor remodeling was accomplished, including updating the auditorium sound systems. Keeping the theatre as a family owned business Mr. Buffaloe sold it to Amy and Chuck Kirkman in December 2010. David Kirkman is the Manager and together we will continue providing the” Best entertainment Value in Smithfield.”
Other features of the theatre include:
* Hardwood floors in all auditoriums* Stages in lower auditoriums
* High-back rocking seats in the downstairs auditoriums feature
* Cupholders in all auditoriums* Century projection systems with reverse scan sound readers* Multi-platter rewind system
* Stadium seating in upstairs auditoriums